Sherrards’ Litigation Department has been presented “Client Choice Litigation Law Firm of the Year” by Corporate INTL magazine. This award arrives in light of previous success earlier in the year, with the department also winning “Most Trusted Litigation Law Firm of the Year” in the ACQ Global Awards 2015, attaining another triumphant double, after also winning both awards last year.
Managing Partner, Alasdair McMillin, comments, “It’s a great accolade for the firm and, in particular, for the Litigation Department. As a commercial property lawyer, I normally run a mile from litigation, but it is a huge source of comfort to know that, when our clients are in any difficulty, there is no better group of people that I would want protecting them. To see their professionalism and ability recognised like this is thrilling – even if they are litigators!”
Paul Marmor, Head of Litigation and Dispute Resolution at Sherrards, comments, “It’s the breadth of experience and calibre of talent that we have that really makes the difference at those key moments – like a tennis match between two top Grand Slam winners, it’s those few extra percentage points that lead to success. We also place great emphasis on the fact that we are a team, the core of which has been together for over ten years, so we can either operate as lone-wolves, in small groups or in a pack.”
Sherrards’ Litigation team offers an extensive range of services. From insolvency-related litigation, international disputes, and debt recovery to boardroom disputes and the world of property. Recently, the firm has introduced a white-collar crime defence and advisory unit. Our cross-border work contains specialist operations across the world, including the USA, Russia, Europe and China, where the firm has strengthened its connections with the recruitment of Xueying (Laurel) Zhang to direct the firm’s China Desk.
Laurel Zhang: “As a Chinese specialist lawyer, I had a choice of firms at which to house my practice, but I chose Sherrards because the combination of their hands-on approach and international capability – be it in real estate, corporate transactions or litigation – made them a perfect fit.”
Facts about Litigation in the UK
- More than fifty percent of all matters heard in the Commercial Court of the High Court of Justice involves an overseas party, which is echoed in Sherrards’ experience.
- The UK is viewed by the international business community as one of the principal jurisdictions of choice for determining disputes, given the forte of the judiciary, the common-law system and the quality of the legal profession.
- The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) is one of the world’s leading centres of distinction for arbitration.
- Sherrards’ Steven Loble is one of a select few lawyers mentioned twice in one of the most prestigious legal directories, Chambers Global
- Sherrards’ Barney Laurence has been cited in Chambers for the second year in a row as a “lawyer to watch” and Paul Marmor is a “leading practitioner”. Other Litigation partners, Karen Dobson and Rachael McConaghie, have also been named recently in the Legal 500, alongside Paul and Barney.
- Sherrards’ Litigation team contributed to the World Bank’s Doing Business Report, which ranks every country in the world for the ease of doing business – the UK is ranked at number 6 in the world, with Singapore and New Zealand ranked at 1 and 2 respectively. Hannah Jones is recognised by the World Bank for her work.
- Paul Marmor is the co-chair of the International Bar Association Law Firm Management Committee Business Development Working Group, and is the chair of Legal Recruitment for the Alliott Group.
- Gemma Newing’s posts on the Sherrards website on debt recovery and managing debt are among the firm’s most popular.
- Sherrards’ White Collar Crime Unit was established in early 2015, assisting on the pursuit and defence of fraud-related matters and providing corporate Bribery Act advisory services under Simon Morgan, who came from a boutique firm with over 20 years’ experience.